Friday, September 21, 2012

Downton Abbey - Mary's tiara!

Friday, September 21, 2012

As promised, here are some screen-shot images I took of Lady Mary and Mathew's Downton Abbey wedding. No doubt, lots of drama will unfold in episode two, (bring it on), but let's just focus on Mary's beautiful headpiece for a few minutes!

 

 
There's been plenty of discussion about 'the dress' and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. We're so used to the couture, figure-hugging style dresses of the moment but this 1920's dress was typical of the time. I'd like to have seen the delicate embroidered fabric up close!

Anyway, I'm much more interested in her understated but very glamorous headpiece. I adore this tiara as it follows the form of the head. When I am designing headpieces, this is something I always do, whether it's a beaded hairwire or fine Alice-band. I love the laurel leaf motif - it actually reminded me of a bespoke design that I'm working on at the moment!


I'm sure this hairstyle will inspire many brides too. I'm still seeing a lot of finger-wave styles from my clients. Those rippling curves are great for framing the face.

I had fun giving this image a vintage look - it instantly gives it that authentic feel don't you think? Speaking of which...

I have a great series coming up which I mentioned on my Facebook page. Recently a client showed me a photo of her Grand-parent's wedding. She told me how the design of her own dress was inspired by her Grandmother's dress. It got me thinking about putting some of our glamorous Grannies on pedestals and hearing some stories about them :-)

 

Do you have photos that you'd like to share, I'd love to hear from you! Ask your parent's if there are any stories about their parent's weddings and take out those old photos.

No comments: