Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fascinator Hat

Tuesday, May 26, 2009



Recently I had the opportunity to design a headpiece for a mother of the bride. The starting point for this commission was the Louise Kennedy outfit that she had chosen to wear. The dress, seen above is a truly classic style with simple, elegant lines. The navy and cream colour combination is dramatic yet under-stated and the graphic floral design is very striking.

My client wanted a small headpiece that would complement her outfit. She is not someone who likes wearing large hats or fussy headpieces so I suggested the simple form of a small fascinator hat. Once we had tried on an example of this type of hair accessory, I was able to discuss lots of different possibilities for embellishing the form.

French navy veil netting was a perfect match for the outfit. Cream pearls were a lovely way of introducing the cream colour. I designed a pearl and rhinestone flower detail to add a little drama to the piece. I also worked some tiny pearls into the netting.

I love designing custom pieces like this and it is also an enjoyable experience for the client to be involved in the design process!

No comments: