Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fiona and Dan's Shelbourne Hotel wedding

Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Welcome back everyone - did you have a great Christmas? It's the start of a whole new exciting new year for all of us! I've been saving Fiona and Dan's wedding as the first post of 2012 - this stylish fairytale will warm your hearts and tingle your toes.


First of all, I'd like to say that it's not that often that I get to meet both parents of my clients and it was really touching to see how involved Fiona's parents were in her wedding preparations. Being their only daughter... and only child made this a very special day for the family. 

Fiona brought along lots of images to show me. We chatted for ages about all the ideas she wanted to bring together. This style board helped us both to come up with suggestions on how to accessorise her look. After trying on lots of different designs, we decided on the perfect hair accessories;  a gold rhinestone vine comb and finest pearl and rhinestone bracelet. I love her elegant look! And I really had fun designing a headpiece and necklace for Fiona's Mum as well as brooch style combs and bracelets for the bridesmaids. Here's Fiona to tell us all about how she planned her day!



"Dan and I had been together for ten years and engaged for two years when we finally decided to set the date! We had been playing with the idea of going abroad but never really found the right location. We were walking through St Stephen's Green in Dublin City on New Year's Day 2010 and realised that the perfect location was right under our nose. My Parents and Grandparents had both been married in The University Church and our first formal date had been my Debs Ball in The Shelbourne Hotel, a decade earlier. We wanted something intimate and classy so the St Stephen's Suite in The Shelbourne Hotel was perfect"


"When it came to choosing my dress, I knew I wanted something that would fit in with the Art Deco elegance of The Shelbourne. When I tried it on I knew. It had a beautiful lace train with a gold thread, pearl and rhinestone detail. It also had a champagne satin ribbon around the waist with a vintage brooch attached to it. It was perfect! The bridesmaid dresses were a simple champagne colour with a stunning ruching detail, flattering all the bridesmaids. The boys would be in Black Tuxedos.

My dress had so much detail that I didn't like the idea of wearing a tiara as it would have taken away from it so when I came across an article on Rangoli Jewellery on Weddings Online, I fell in love. I loved the idea of having custom made to compliment my dress and the hair combs were such a beautiful traditional idea."


"I called Aisling to make an appointment and as soon I spoke to her, I knew that she understood what I was looking for. On the morning of my appointment, it was lashing rain and my Mum and I were soaked when we arrived at The Design Studio. Aisling was so pleasant and welcoming and instantly made us feel at ease.

Aisling showed us some of her hair accessories and it was really like we were in heaven, they were all so pretty, I wanted them all! I showed Aisling pictures of my dress, described the theme of the wedding and a sample of the detail on the train and slowly, before my eyes, my hair comb came to life, along with a very delicate pearl bracelet to compliment it."

"Aisling also helped me to design beautiful hair brooches and pearl bracelets for my three Bridesmaids, even getting the detail of the girl's wrist sizes. When my Mum, Helen, saw Aisling's designs she was so impressed that she made an appointment for herself! My Mum is not really a hat person and was dreading having to wear one so she fell in love with the coloured jewel wire hair combs. My Mum was feeling very nervous about her outfit and Aisling really helped her to feel at ease and offered her excellent advice. She also designed a stunning neck piece to flatter the neckline of the dress she would be wearing.

When we went in to collect the pieces, we were so excited! Aisling had understood exactly what we needed, they were perfect! I kept the jewellery a secret right up until the morning of the wedding and the girls were thrilled when they opened the boxes. In keeping with the vintage theme of the day, my hair was styled up in an elaborate bun. My antique style veil sat over the bun and my hairstylist placed my  comb to the right side, so it would be visible when we were saying our vows at the altar."
Bridesmaids pearl hair comb

"The church mass was beautiful and personal. As there was only forty guests, everyone was involved and we were able to walk through the church to shake all the guests hands at The Sign of Peace. After the service, we had some stunning shots taken arong St Stephen's Green and Grafton Street by Brosnan Photography. Our Rangoli jewellery sparkled in the late Autumn sunlight in our beautiful city.
"The reception was lovely. We had fabulous food and were entertained in style by The Swing Singer and Shane Black, the illusionist. Our magical day was topped off by meeting The Former President of The United States of America, Mr Bill Clinton!"


"It was truly a day to remember and I look forward to hopefully one day, giving my Rangoli comb to my daughter to wear at her wedding. I would recommend Rangoli Jewellery to anyone who is looking for something special and unique for their Wedding Day.
Thank You Aisling!"

Thanks to you too Fiona - I am glad that you were so happy with your Rangoli jewels. I'll be patiently waiting for that photo of your daughter wearing your comb :-)

A big thanks also to Christina Brosan who photographed Fiona and Dan's wedding.

Check out some more Rangoli wedding reports on the blog - definitely my favourite posts - how about you?

Supplier details -
Photography: Brosnan Photographic
Venue: The Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin.
Dress: Nicolini Rosetta at Berketex
Jewellery and hair accessories: Rangoli Jewellery
Suits: Black Tie
Hair & Makeup: James & Sarah at Ebano Salon, Balinteer
Flowers: The Frog Prince
Cars: Terry Flanagan at Gold Cars


2 comments:

Ciara said...

What a fantastic write up Aisling, glowing feedback like that must make all the hard work worthwhile!

Unknown said...

Thanks Ciara -

You're right; it's so nice to feel appreciated! And I'm lucky that I have such lovely clients to design for.