Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Good Eyesight and Patience

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Today I am working away in my studio. It's quiet here; no music playing! And I'm reminded of the two words that I often hear when people describe what I do. "You must have great patience and good eye sight!"


This got me thinking about what it is that I love about my work. It's definitely the balance between meeting and chatting with clients and then designing and making in my own peaceful space. I've always enjoyed getting to know the people I design for. That's where great ideas are born and secrets shared! My studio is the perfect place for me to create. I have a huge work table which I've had since the day I set up my business in 1998. I'm very sentimental about it!

 Bespoke Rangoli pearl cuff in progress

I'm working on this pearl cuff bracelet which is very intricate. My "good eyesight" has recently been aided by a pair of glasses but my patience trait is still going strong! A piece like this can take a few days to make and I just relax into it. Sometimes I listen to music but I'm just as happy to quietly sit and think of the person who will be wearing my jewellery.

Funny stories often pop into my head if I'm sitting quietly. For example, the person who I'm designing this for wanted a bracelet covered in pearls of different sizes. She was adamant that she didn't want it to jangle or make any noise. She even chose a dress where the fabric didn't make a swishing sound as she walked. I love that! Swish, swish, swish... So rather than having moving pearls on the bracelet, I am weaving them into my crochet structure. I knew there was a reason for me not playing music in the studio today!

If you're interested in seeing more of my studio, you should check out a fun photographic interview by Noel and Aga called "What's the craic with Rangoli Jewellery". They are from the amazing White Tea Photography - check out their cool work.

As always, I'd love to hear from you so leave me a comment or arrange a visit to my 'sometimes quiet' studio.

No comments: